Saturday 1 October 2016

It's the Wig or Nothing Now

I'm not posting a picture of my shaved head, but it happened, because otherwise the house was going to look like we have a Labrador when we don't. I haven't even looked at it yet; I just looked at the pile of hair on the floor which was beginning to come away with the gentlest of tugs. My closest friend came and did it for me.

When I look in a mirror, it all looks a bit fake, but this is for the next year until it all grows back. I’m not planning to look in the mirror without a wig until fortification is available. I think I might then cover the one in the bathroom that will give me unexpected glances. I’m sleeping in a little turban hat, it’s chilly without hair, and I can put the wig on without looking now.

I just need to adjust myself, like we do to all of this cancer crap. After all we do this chemo thing so we don’t die, not sure I’m going to be like one of my companions in the chemo suite who rocks the bald look with some pride but who knows. We all cope in our own way, lurching through this thing as best we can. I just hope I can wear my wig in surgery… I may not care by the time I get to that point but I do now; there is something of a very visible indicator that you have cancer with an absence of hair. As if all the f*****g pink of October wasn’t enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment