Thursday 28 July 2016

Uncertainty Continues

Well I got myself in a right state today but bizarrely after a completely inconclusive outcome, with only difficult decisions to make, I fell fine. Alternative doctor was brilliant, the only downside to the appointment was that it was with the cancer nurse who not only talks to you like you are are a partially deaf 3 year old but who is also animated enough for me to want to cast her in a children's TV show, perhaps for deaf 3 year olds. I had to zone her out. 
The biopsy trail was followed through to the most recent which has tested as an LCIS, these are scaled B1 - B5 and mine is B3. I don't know which way the scale runs but one end is benign tissue and the other is cancer. We don't know what this is. Alternative Dr drew lots of pictures for me which was helpful. One of them was to show how large this lesion is compared to the samples taken. Basically the needle couldn't possibly test all the tissue so to really know what this is they would slice it up and look at it under the microscope. They do this whatever surgery I have. The options therefore remain a lumpectomy for the first two lumps or a  mastectomy for all three.

Each option has its own *joyful* features (need a sarcasm font). If I have a lumpectomy, they would take out the LCIS lesion using a separate incision because it is in a different place and do the pathology post op. If it is cancer this would mean a second surgery and that would be a mastectomy. I don't want a second surgery, but that could happen anyway. Lymph node biopsy is done under general anaesthetic during surgery with pathology post op for example, and there are cases when they need to be removed. Not always, sometimes they can be radiated. The mastectomy is obviously irreversible and I could find out post surgery we have removed healthy tissue.  I am offered immediate reconstruction with a mastectomy, but the best way to do this for me would probably be an implant, and radiation can affect this, so that could be another surgery anyway. There is no way of knowing that so I'd just take that risk. 
So I have to ring on Monday and say what I want. Luckily bit of a work crisis to return to after hospital appointment which took my mind off everything beautifully, so time for a glass of wine and bed in time for an early start. And if we look on the bright side, no more biopsies. Oh and you know what else is good in cancer world, everyone keeps telling me how young and fit I am. Go me (I am neither). 

No comments:

Post a Comment