Saturday 30 July 2016

The Decision Tree

The thing about decisions is that most of them aren't really life changing, and if they turn out to be the wrong decision, in lots of circumstances different decisions can be made instead. The decision I just made wasn't quite like that, because as well as thinking about all the permutations and possible outcomes, I needed to know what any regrets might feel like. Some women regret choosing a mastectomy if pathology reveals healthy tissue. That might happen but since I've decided to go for a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using tissue from my back, I'm just using healthy tissue from elsewhere instead as a friend helpfully pointed out. Don't click that link if you're squeamish! 
Of my choices, it is the most complex operation I could choose so surgery won't be next week, the theatre slot won't be long enough. I am hoping for the following Monday or Wednesday; my surgeon's two lists. I just think the LCIS is worrying, it'll need to be monitored so that is constant worrying, and it could easily be another cancer later even if it all clear post op. I have to call on Monday to let them know what I decided. The doctor might tell me something on that changes things when I call her, but for now I am decided and what I know about any decision is that it feels better when you have been able to make one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment