Tuesday 12 July 2016

Yesterday I had am MRI biopsy and I'm torn between how very clever it was and how very uncomfortable or painful at times. Obviously now the pain is over I veer toward the former. It had been mentioned, not as routine exactly, but not as anything special. I found out later they'd only done 6 so I was the 7th and it was tricky, so lots of conversations about how to do it which were interesting, I helped a bit with something so obvious I think they were just being kind when they didn't say they'd thought of it already! There's a marker at that site now so it can be seen on other scans and they gave me a mammogram yesterday (so they can reference any future growth I guess). It was all highly distracting stuff on a day when I'd been very wobbly about the approaching surgery. After talking to the radiologist before the scan, I realised the area around the two know cancer sites is 4.5cm and although a lumpectomy is possible, it increases the risks of further surgery if anything is found in the healthy margin they remove around it. Everyone was lovely and looked after me as ever. Results are on Thursday. Unless it is cancer the situation remains what it was, a decision about the best surgery, and hoping not to be bumped from my lovely doctor's list if I need a long time on the table. 
The whole day was spent at the hospital yesterday, I had a pre op assessment appointment which took a couple of hours and included a very sensible and nice chatty nurse, then later a cancer nurse who did the deaf three year old delivery with the animation of a children's TV presenter. It is all terribly distracting and not conducive to absorbing information. I was given a lot more info, now have 21 booklets, cancer does seem to be complicated. Today was the first time I was asked if I'd read something, I said I had, but actually not sure that I did and it doesn't matter because they go through it with you anyway. I can't exactly be critical because it is well written information but it is also totally overwhelming when the rest is also totally overwhelming. 
I was delighted to notice all the  notices all over the hospital after I'd noticed how everyone always does introduce themselves. A lovely lady called Sarah looked after me during the MRI and I overheard her talking to someone else later about something she'd told me; she'd told me about her cancer, surgery and treatment and how she'd been. Then she gave me a hug. I think I must go around looking like a frightened rabbit at the moment. She was telling another nurse about that, and her lost veneer and called me a lovely lovely lady. Phew, even in frightened rabbit distracted state I have behaved myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment