Monday 1 August 2016

About Turn

My head hurts but I am going to explain this because I know that some people are reading to keep up and it is nice that people want to know, I just can't talk about it all the time and I would be if I was updating as we go along... Rang in this morning with a decision and a request to see my Dr now she is back from holidays. Got into clinic this morning, so that was good. What wasn't so good was getting confused again. 

Basically the risks are not reduced by having a mastectomy, they are the same. I'm probably not going to be able to explain that because I got it from a nurse at the point where she realised I was not going to be able to do pros and cons on this one. The only thing that does reduce risk is chemo. So my idea that we take everything and then we'd be safe (relatively speaking) wasn't accurate at all. 

The outcomes are the same for the two ops, the only difference between the surgeries is that I may have to have a second if there is more cancer in post op pathology if I don't have a mastectomy. There's a risk of having two ops anyway if the lymph nodes need to come out so I'm having the small surgery to start with and seeing how I get  on. The other surgery was pretty huge, and if I need it in the future I will have it then, because all the things I want to avoid I can't anyway. The LCIS is an early indicator of breast cancer, but it could be an early indicator of the cancer I already have, or another cancer altogether. The nurse told me I wanted the doctor to make a decision for me and who wouldn't FFS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment