Sunday 21 August 2016

Bit of a Blip

Saturday saw me at the walk in clinic, I shall try not to be too graphic but I felt like I'd come a bit unstitched. This was unfortunately in the lymph node biopsy incision under my arm where I couldn't see very well what was going on. OH couldn't quite tell either so we decided to go to the walk in clinic first thing. It turns out about 1 cm is unstitched, but I also have an infection, so both account for discomfort. Both have also made me feel acutely vulnerable. I'd rung the breast clinic on Friday and a nurse rang me back eventually, advice was not as I might have thought to go in and see them or go to the ward, but to go to GP or walk in clinic. 

Nobody can restitch until infection clears up so I got a prescription for antibiotics and some dressings. The dressings we couldn't find anywhere, so ended up back at the clinic at lunchtime begging for supplies. I also need to get into my GP's to get it all checked once antibiotics have had a chance to work, for once i can answer yes to the question about whether I can see a practice nurse, so hopefully getting an appointment this week won't be too difficult. I'm usually offered an appointment in 3 or 4 weeks time if I want a GP. Going to the GP or the clinic also isn't very straightforward, I can't drive yet. I have a lovely friend who's offered to take me but, well I know this isn't possible, but I'd love it if a nurse popped round often enough to check on me! 

I feel like I've been left to look after myself and am not quite equipped to do so. I was in hospital for surgery on a Wednesday, discharged on a Thursday, and back on the Saturday to have dressings removed. I was told stitches would dissolve and steristrips would fall off in a couple of weeks, and just to let them. I wasn't really given any information about how to keep the wound clean. Maybe I need to check if they gave me a leaflet. I was advised to shower, rather than bath, but not use soap on the area of my body that has been operated on. I could use a flannel to only use once and only on that area of the body, that hasn't felt very effective so I've bought some sterile wipes now. Also a bit worried that I can't do my post op exercises very well, the unstitched bit pulls and although that is only mildly uncomfortable, I don't know if i'm making things worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment