Wednesday 31 August 2016

Oncology Commences


First appointment with oncology today. This is the different hospital, not nearly as good at the my name is stuff, and it is really noticeable now I've got so used to it. It makes a difference. It was a full room for my appointment; a doctor, a student doctor, a cancer nurse, myself and my husband, and then another nurse to redress a wound. Considering most of this was spent half naked it was a bit too crowded but on the plus side, nobody talked to me like I was a deaf 3 year old or ambushed me into talking about my feelings.

I didn't really find out much I didn't know, Dr confirmed it will be 6 rounds of chemo and gave me another leaflet about the treatment. Oncology Dr and surgeon differed on their view of Herception, oncology today said test hadn't been done yet, surgeon yesterday said test had been done I didn't need it. Will check with surgeon on Monday when I go to be restitched. They will start chemo in a week or 2, they can't tell me which. I also have to see oncology professor before I start, who was on her holidays today, attend a chemo talk, have wound healing checked again, and something else I can't remember. Had bloods taken today and wished, as I always do, that every time I had blood taken it would be by a phlebotomist. 
Nobody can tell me when chemo starts or when any of those appointments are going to happen. I am hoping they don't just call me the day before again. I do have lifts offered, and husband can come home to fetch me, but it is just a bit of a pain not driving yet. Oncologist was fine about me working during chemo, if I can, and with the things I am putting in place to limit exposure to infections. 

No comments:

Post a Comment