Saturday 3 September 2016

Hairy Stuff

One of the things that will definitely happen when I start chemo is that I will lose my hair. I don't think I can bear even the thought of a cold cap and its ice cream headaches. So today we picked up the wig and picture above is me with the wig and brows (see below) on the right and me pre BC with similar length hair on the left.The wig was the first one I tried on so couldn't be bothered to schlep around or have fun with trying on different ones when it looked enough like my hair to me. 

I also went to one of those places that injects things into people's faces to have my eyebrows tattooed. I don't know if I will lose my eyebrows completely but you can't have it done during chemo. It was something I'd considered doing before because my eyebrows are thinning and there's a lot of grey! I'm not someone who would normally inject things into their face and I couldn't justify the cost, but now I can. It might be just appearance but there's not going to be much normal in my life now chemo is starting and I don't want cancer staring back at me every time I look in the mirror. I've got turbans and things for home to be comfy in, not sure how I'll warn the postman. Maybe I'll keep a towel by the door and pretend I've just washed my hair. 


The hair strand eyebrows tattooing was painful, we had to stop a few times, even with a topical anaesthetic cream. It is semi permanent and will fade about 40% in the next few weeks. We've done it so that there will be something there if hair falls out of those follicles, which it hasn't done yet so I've got more prominent brows than I normally have, which is fine. The brow at the inner and outer eye is only hair strand tattoo, there was no hair there at all, and I just think it is really clever. 
We returned to a letter so I have dates for everything now. I have my chemo talk on Thursday this week, see the professor of oncology on the 13th and first chemo on 14th. They do chemo on Thursdays and Fridays, so I'm going to ask if I can do it on Friday. I'm scared of being on my own the next day, husband has had to take a lot of time off to come to things with me, and if I'm v poorly I want the person being at home with me to be my husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment