Saturday 17 September 2016

The Waiting Game

Chemo was fine is the first thing to say. We arrived a bit early despite leaving a bit later than planned. I had a really important form to fill in and post, worrying about how I would feel afterwards, I did it before. They said they were running about 45 minutes late but I think it was longer. The waiting room conversations got to be interesting and helped pass the time, except for the first person who was talking who kept going on about benefit fraud. My fault, I asked how he reclaimed the car parking charges and other expenses he'd just been moaning about. And whilst we're there, I don't think patients should be charged for parking, ANY PATIENTS. My hospital uses a plastic card ejected as you enter the car park, it knows how long I've been there, so how hard could it be to programme a chip to tell the machine I get it for free. Not hard. It could track it is me and impose sanctions if I gave it to someone else. Anyway, we met someone in the waiting room who lives next door to someone I work with, bound to happen I guess. I also saw another colleague who I knew had been in hospital, walking into oncology with 2 sticks. I said hallo but not sure he realised I was leaving after treatment, he didn't want to stop which was fine. I had no idea what was wrong with him, and still don't of course, but good to see he had obviously got there under his own steam. Well I think he had as he was walking from car park to cancer building. 
The infusion went well, veins held up. I have good veins generally but the chemo is toxic so hoping that lasts. There were a number of HUGE syringes containing the different drugs and they go into me via a canula along with saline to dilute and protect my veins. The nurse administering it was great and we all just talked, OH was with me for the first time. I'd expected to feel something straight away but didn't. We went to M&S on the way home to do some impulse food shopping. Not in the budget really but when you struggle to eat, sometimes there need to be some really lovely things to tempt you away from toast and peanut butter or marmite, it isn't exactly your 5 a day. The whole thing took about an hour and we were tucked away in a corner of the chemo suite which was nice. I did sleep when we got back, but think that was probably due to lack of sleep last night. I have antiemetics to start taking tomorrow so responses are clearly always delayed, hoping to avoid nausea but I get sick easily so we shall see. Nurse said nobody escapes the fatigue, and it is a real exhaustion, but it varies when that comes on. Some people are tired straight away and some know they have a few good days before it hits, same people with same condition and drugs react differently. In cancer world I am young and fit so we can only hope the side effects are not too bad. Apparently what happens on the first cycle is likely to be repeated for all the others, although that isn't what has happened to people I know, but it will a template of sorts I guess. I also have to inject myself for 5 days from Tuesday which was a bit of a surprise, but something to increase my white blood cells, so that's good. I was offered a district nurse but I think I can probably manage - I have to pinch an inch on my tummy and inject. 
In other news, now I have short haircut I am rethinking wigs and wondering how greedy I can be. I think in this bit during chemo I will need my long hair. But I like the cut, and think when I got back to work it might be time for a change and will be easier to manage, going to see how I get on with wig lady when the other one comes in. I like this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment