Monday 26 September 2016

Progress

Today was the first day of feeling normal and I was off to buy my second wig which is the same as the first one but slightly different colour, it would be as if I'd had different highlights, subtle but I prefer it. OH liked the first one, as did wig lady, and my pleas to try this one fell on deaf ears. NHS lady ordered this one in for me, so it cost a lot less, and is happy to order me a shorter one for when I go back to work. I tried on the shorter wig I'd found but but it didn't look like it did in the photo at all, so still thinking about that one, there's no hurry. 


I had genetics today, which was interesting, I knew it would be. I saw a lovely professor, all the professors are lovely so far, and had an interesting chat. They are testing me for BRCA1 and BRCA2. There are other genes but they don't know enough about them yet so no testing for them. BRCA1 is unlikely because of the kind of cancers I have, BRCA2 is a possibility, as is testing negative. Should the test prove positive, the risk is mainly more breast cancer in the other breast and ovarian cancer, so knowing the result before my next surgery informs a decision about preventative surgery. I had the blood test today, by a phlebotomist who wanted to be at the end of their shift, ouch. Results will be in about 3 months and surgery is probably Jan/Feb 2017, so all in good time. 

Having felt better on Friday, and thinking I had turned a corner, it was a surprise to feel vile on Saturday and disappointing. Sunday was much more normal  and today is a good day. I'm being careful not to over do anything but it was such a relief to be able to drive myself to the hospital because I didn't feel too weak and feeble. FREEDOM. I did have a dizzy spell in genetics, which was a v long and overheated walk through hospital buildings from the wig fitting, but taking a layer off and drinking some water resolved that. 
In other news, I've also managed to buy some hair clippers that didn't cost £70 so I can crop my hair when it starts falling out and growing back... Not interesting but necessary! 

No comments:

Post a Comment